[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wireless Energy Transmission

Mike, Andy, All,

Tesla wrote in one of his passages in the Colorado Springs
Notes that "such a comotion of electricity was generated,
that sparks one inch long, could be drawn from a water main,
300 feet distant from the laboratory."

In another part of the diary, a photograph, taken by Ray
Alley (Tesla's photographer,) shows a tall (maybe 10 feet
high) coil (page 352 in the diary and labeled Phot. XXV.)
The caption reads "A coil outside the laboratory with the
lower end connected to the ground and the upper end
free.  The lamps is (not a typo) lighted by the current
induced in the three turns of wire wound around the lower
end of the coil."  On page 354, is a closer view of this
same experiment.  Tesla gives the particulars of this
experiment on pages 351 and 353 of the diary.

Also in the diary, on page 343, Tesla describes an earlier
experiment of Jan. 1, 1900, with three lamps (incandecent)
of 16 candle power at 100 volts each.  The photograph
(number XVII with a question mark) is shown on page 344.

These are the only  photographs of lamps being lighted,
outside the laboratory, in the diary.  My copy of Tesla's
Diary is an original, (copyright 1978, Nikola Tesla Musuem,
Beograd.)

The thread below, was the incentive of this response.

Best regards,
Bill Wysock.

> Date:          Sat, 22 May 1999 14:23:06 -0600
> To:            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Re: Wireless Energy Transmission
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Original Poster: Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com
>
> In a message dated 5/21/99 11:21:08 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
> tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>
> >  Just a small note that I figured I would add.  On a previous post I
> followed
> >  > a link to Tesla Coil sites (from a search engine I believe) and that
> > brought
> >  > me to an archive of Tesla pictures.  As a caption to the picture, it
said
> >  > that Tesla's largest coil put such high voltages into the ground that a
> 1"
> >  > spark could be drawn from a drain pipe 300 miles away.  If that was
> indeed
> >  > true, then perhaps this idea would be feasible.  Although I have not
> taken
> >  > physics course yet in school, making my knowledge greatly lacking, I
> > thought
> >  > that I might add that promising point.
> >  >
> >  > -Andy
> >
> Who in 1899 or 1900 could have been 300 miles away and known when Tesla was
> firing his coil?   I rather think that this effect was noticed 3 miles away,
> in Colorado Springs.  That would still be impressive to be able to draw a
one
> inch arc from a grounded water pipe with nothing but a rod of metal in hand
> from that distance.  There are reports of him being able to light bulbs as
> far away as Cripple Creek (26 miles away), but I don't think those reports
> were substantiated.  It seems like I remember reading in Tesla's Colorado
> Springs notes that he could see light bulbs light up on Pike's Peak when he
> fired up his coil, but I read the notes years ago and could be mistaken in
> that.
> Mike

Tesla Technology Research