[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 18 Awg Magnet Wire / Secondary Form

Greg,
	I did a secondary using 18 awg magnet wire.
It is about twenty two inches tall and about eight
inches in diameter.  The inductance is around ten
milliheneries.   I'm guessing at the dimentions since
it is three in the morning and I don't really want to
dig it out and take a measuring tape to it when I'm
half asleep.
	The thing I would caution you about is doing
the winding.  18 gauge is tough stuff to wind with.
It takes a fair amount of tension applied to the wire
as it is being wound so it lays down without kinks
or bends.  So if you wind a coil with it by hand like
I did make sure you wind a few turns and lay off for
a bit and then go back.  I didn't and later I found that
I'd pressed so long and so hard getting the coil to wind
smoothly that I produced temporary nerve damage
in my right hand fingers, and I was wearing leather
gloves and even using a couple of slats of soft wood
to help manage the tensioning.
	My source didn't exactly deliver the wire
in a kink free state.  Maybe yours is in better condtion.
	It took some months before the sense of
touch in my hand returned to normal.
	So don't over do it.  Let the pressure of
now and then.  Your hands will thank you for it
later.

	John  W.