[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ozone

Hi Terry,
I'm not a member of pupman (too much mails ;-), just reading
through the archives) but I think I have to say something to
that thread. Could you please forward this message to the group,
thanks.

Hi Coilers

TeslaTec-at-webtv-dot-net (Tony R Greer) wrote on Thu, 13 May 1999:
> ...But seriously now folks, a possible use for a TC (solid
> state, most likely) as an ozone generator. Some carpet cleaning
> companies and smoke odor removal companies use ozone generators
> made with neon transformers and a grouping of single electrode,
> low pressure glass tubes with a fan blowing air in, and ozone
> out.( Ozone, in the proper concentration, is a powerful odor
> elimanator, although harmfull to humans and other living (and
> some non-living) things.) ....

I've observed this today when I opened up the cover of my
Vitamini (for those who did not know: Vitamini is my smallest
TC, 1"x5" secondary, 8" sparks in twin configuration at 180W).
It was made of wood, the stuff normally used for the back of
a closet. It came originally covered with some sort of white paint
(or any kind of plastic). Inside this housing of Vitamini, the
xfmrs and static spark gap are located (also the line filter etc.).
To make it short, after perhaps one or two hours of runtime in the
closed housing, the gases produced by the gap turned the white
'paint' into yellow! It was not a direct effect of the UV-light
produced also, as the whole inside turned yellow, even the parts
not directly exposed to the UV-light. Only between some other wood
screewed to the cover of the box (preventing it from being
attacked by the gases) the original color is still there.

I think the gases are not healthy to breath in those high doses,
but who does. In a ventilated room, you surely make a break if it
smells too awfull :-)

I often take my bicycle on sunny days even when the ozone level
is dangerous high. I'm a very active biker and when I'm "on the
road again", I take a lot of air and ozone into my lungs.
Sometimes I have a sore throught after some miles which is due
to high ozone levels I think. Compared this with the feeling after
heavy coiling sessions, I must say that I only have seen such an
effect once occuring to me in a totally closed (!) room,
experimenting for hours (!) with my 2.5kW 4"-coil (1.5m arcs) when
I took the photos in 1997 (the room was closed because I didn't
want to disturb the neighbours too much and because I wanted it
dark to take the photos). Conclusion: In my opinion, a 'normal'
coiler (yes, I know, we're all a bit mad :-) didn't get hurt
if he did not run a big coil for extreme lengths in closed rooms.

Stefan
       (_(_|_)_)< `        Reply to: STK.TC-at-gmx-dot-net, please |
_   __/   |_|    \_      visit "Stefans Tesla coil pages"   |
 \_/  `   |_|     `    with lots of photographs, formulas   |
 _/    .__|_|__.     and technical infos around TCs at      |
/_______\-|-|-/___ http://privat.schlund.de/skluge/toc.htm _|

Famous last words:  Oh, a Tesla coil - I heard you can touch
                    it without getting hurt --> Zzzzzapp ...