[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Racing arc's casued by strike rail

Vivian,

You really don't want to run at higher power levels without a
strikerail. Replace it, and let's try some other things.

The easiest thing to try is raising the secondary somewhat versus the
primary. This will reduce the coupling a bit (reducing racing sparks)
while also increasing the distance from the toroid to the primary
strikerail. Then try raising the toroid relative to the secondary - this
may require that you retune the system a bit. The strikerail should be
the same diameter, or slightly larger, than the outermost primary turn
and about 1.5-2.5" above the outer turn.

BTW, using an inverse conical primary significantly reduces the distance
between the toroid and the strikerail, limiting ultimate coil
performance. Going to a flat primary will also make most of your current
problems go away. At higher power levels, it's sometimes necessary to
use a longer coilform and winding length so as to simply get more
clearance from the top of the coil to the bottom.

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert --