[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: And another one bits the dust

Hi Viv,
        Sorry to hear about your loss. In view of what you say plus
my own experiences and thoughts on the matter, I have a suggestion
that I'm now finding useful:

> Original Poster: "Vivian Watts" <V.C.Watts-at-btinternet-dot-com>
>
> Hi All,
>     Having just posted my results with new cap, Neon's and sync gap I've
> just blown another Neon.  Nothing dramatic just suddenly less output.  Seems
> one Neon has gone output short.  So to answer my own question, two 5Kv Neons
> require closer safety gaps than 1/4" to ground and 1/2" across the two - if
> they are rounded :-(
>
> So chaps it looks like I won't be bringing mine to the UK Teslathon.
>
> regards
>
> Viv Watts UK.

Because running NSTs with gap settings near their o/c peak Vout seems
to be a very hit and miss affair, it might be a far better idea to run
with a gap setting considerably smaller (see my post on the CS mini
coil) and use more NSTs in parallel with a much bigger primary cap to
get Ep up. I think most would agree that loss in the gap is much less
distressing than the loss of a transformer. Disadvantages include:
- less efficient coil due to extra primary losses
- more PFC needed
- more weight to lug around for a given power level

Major advantage = peace of mind.

Malcolm