[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 18 AWG Magnet wire.

In a message dated 5/25/99 2:47:52 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Hi All,
>
>  I recently came across 65 pounds of 18 awg gauge magnet wire for free!
Would

>  this be any
>  good for building a Tesla secondary ? Can I increase the diameter of the
>  secondary to
>  offset the large size of the magnet wire? I'd like to be able to use the
> wire
>  if I can.
>
>  Regards,
>                Greg Murray

It will work great for a larger coil.  I would guess that a 10 to 12 diam.
coil would be about right for that size wire to get plenty of turns and keep
a good height to diameter ratio.  Just to give you an idea, a 10 inch
diameter coil with 40 inches of turns would give you about 920 turns.  A 12
inch coil with 48 inches of turns would be around 1100 turns.

Mike