[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: And another one bits the dust

In a message dated 5/25/99 10:16:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  Hi All,
>      Having just posted my results with new cap, Neon's and sync gap I've
>  just blown another Neon.  Nothing dramatic just suddenly less output.
Seems
>  one Neon has gone output short.  So to answer my own question, two 5Kv
Neons
>  require closer safety gaps than 1/4" to ground and 1/2" across the two - if
>  they are rounded :-(
>
>  So chaps it looks like I won't be bringing mine to the UK Teslathon.
>
>  regards
>
>  Viv Watts UK.

Viv,

Have you tried running with resistors in series with each high voltage output
from the transformers?  On my small 3.0" diameter coil, powered by a 12 kv
60 ma neon sign transformer, I use only a 3,000 ohm 25w resistor in series
with each HV feed and have not lost a transformer  -  yet.

Ed Sonderman