[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: WIRES

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: WIRES
> Date: Saturday, May 29, 1999 1:02 AM
>
> Original Poster: ARSONIST01-at-aol-dot-com
>
> hi all,
> 	i'm in the process of building my first TEsla coil and i have a few
> questions about wiring it up..
> 	1)	what guage/Awg(is there a difference?) wire should i use to
> connect the 			components on the coil itself.(ie. NSTs to
> spark gap, etc..)

AWG == American Wire Gauge, so it is the same

> 	2) 	What is a recommended wire guage for wall power to a control
> panel?

This depends on the amount of power you are drawing. A standard 15A wall
receptacle is typically wired in a house with #14 wire. The usual power
cord for a computer (where the "IEC" connector at the computer end is
nominally rated at 7A) uses #18.

Cheap extension cords use #16 or #14. Good extension cords use #12.

> 	3)	If there is a different guage recommended, but what should i
> use from the 			control panel to the actual T/C? (if i'm not
> mistaken, isn't this just 120VAC )

> 	4)	What guage of wire should be used for connecting to the
> grounding rods?

Gauge isn't so important here. What is important is  1) Short length, and
2) low inductance. For a given amount of copper, a flat strip has lower
inductance than a round conductor.  That said, you can use a bunch of wires
in parallel.