[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Streamer growth and filming it all (was Re: Corona andSphere- Puzzle -addition)

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Streamer growth and filming it all  (was Re: Corona
andSphere- Puzzle -addition)
> Date: Sunday, October 31, 1999 10:43 AM
>
> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi,
>
> 	The new Olympus video system (the fastest) can do 8000 frames/sec.  See:
>
> What I must wonder is if 8000 FPS is fast enough?

It might be fast enough, although you probably won't' get images of the
SAME streamer. You would get images of some streamer at various points in
the development, which would tell you something.

You could also couple a Kerr Cell Shutter  (potentially nanosecond exposure
times) to the camera.  Talk about losing light..The Kerr Cell probably
attenuates the light by 3 stops. Or a magnetooptic Faraday effect shutter
(like Edgertons Rapatronic), which as exposure times in the microsecond
range. A bit longer exposures, but you don't have to fool with
nitrobenzene.