[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tuning with two torids

Hi All,

	Of course, if you run a PVC tube down the center of the coil, one would
have to consider the possiblity of it drawing an arc.  You would probably
have to either build the coil large enough to overcome the field stresses
or put disks or rings along the tube (like HV power pole insulators) to
prevent arcs from tracking along the tube.

I liked the linear drive thing at the website basically because it had no
senstive electronics (unlike the ones with microprocessors :-)) and it
could be controlled with good rugged relays and such.  They showed much of
the internal contruction and there is little that can go wrong.

I thought about the laser pointer idea too but my aim is not that good and
I think it would be hard to aim with sparks and all.  A tripod may solve
this as Jeff suggests.  Adding fiber cable and the trivial switch/LED
ciruit to the other end of the cable is not that much more work, but to
each their own...  I have a rifle with laser sights and a scope that could
easily hit any target, but that type of 'laser pointer' is not "politically
correct" in most situations, although, the rifle does have a tripod
mounting nut.