[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: using XC to cancel XL

What he is talking about is the size of the tank cap in your Tesla
primary. If you design it so that the tank cap is resonant with the
inductance of the secondary windings of the NST you can effectively pull
more current from it. It's a simple resonant rise effect. The same
effect can overvolt your NST too, which is why we use saftey gaps. The
rest of the town won't see it as it's on the other side of a
transformer. Nor will it put the mains out of phase.

To be clear, the cap is on the SECONDARY side of the NST. It's part of
the TC Primary. Thus it is isolated from the mains.

The only time I know of one would put a cap on the mains is PFC (Power
Factor Correction). And that is to make the load draw current in phase
with the voltage IIRC. Being an inductive load the transformer will draw
current and voltage out of phase. This increases to draw from the mains.
The PFC caps correct this and allow more efficient opperation. The power
company does this all the time. Up on the poles arround here there are
huge banks of PFC caps. So I doubt they would mind if you helped them
out. ;)

Travis