[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Quick Question

Hi Travis,

	Actually, I did NOT make up the term "MMC".  I was going to go back and
try and figure out who did but Reinhard just sent a post that says it was
him.  I'll trust him ;-)  I remember it taking me a few days to figure it
out too :-O  At the moment, I kind of forget how it all started, but the
MMC thing certainly became one of the hottest topics this year!!  Chip will
probably post a note on this too, but his Halloween disaster of last year
(he blew TWO nice commercial caps) was not repeated this year.  His new MMC
performed just fine in the identical setup!

I did come up with the EMMC (Enhanced Multi Mini Cap) thing because the
term enhanced was running around work as a joke at the time.  We were
referring to "enhancing" the performance specifications of some parts by
simply multiplying them by two to get the numbers we needed. :-)

BTW - The EMMC cap of mine is doing just fine and the small drift seems to
have stabilized.  I don't think it will ever fail...

Cheers,

	Terry

At 07:41 AM 11/03/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Pig: We use it simply because we think that the transformers look like
>the farm animal. ;)
>
>MMC: Multi-Mini-Capacitor. Terry made it up, probably to avoid typing
>"capacitive banks" all the time. ;)  It's just a bunch of commerical
>caps in series to get the voltage and the strings are placed in parallel
>to get the required C. Commerical HV Pulse caps (the ones we need for
>coils) are VERY expensive. Most just build thier own. The problem is
>they are messy, since they are filled with oil. It's much nicer to buy
>lower voltage pulse caps for $1-$2 a peice and put them together to get
>what we want. And, most importantly, no oil. ;)
>
>Travis
>

>Tesla List wrote:
>>
>> Original Poster: "EXT-Peterson, Phillip P"
<Phillip.Peterson-at-West.Boeing-dot-com>