[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

MY FIRST COIL

Hello all:

Thanks to the vast information I've gleaned from the SIG plus the many
excellent web sites of T.C.B.'s, I've built my first coil and it worked
right off!  The program WinTesla was very helpful in that it allowed me
to try a variety of combinations without actually having to build them.

I ended up using an unusual spark gap arrangement, and wondered if any
body else had tried it, and what their comments on it were.  I used a
device known as a neutralizing capacitor, commonly found in large R.F.
amplifiers.  It has two round disks, about 2 inches in diameter, that
can have the spacing between them varied with a vernier-like adjustment.
The entire unit is mounted on large ceramic insulators.  I have my gap
set at around 0.20", which seems to give the best results.  The spark
is quite intense, with a loud, high pitched sizzling sound, and seems
to move around various parts of the disks.

If anyone would like to know more details about these capacitors, try
looking in the A.R.R.L. handbook.  I'd be glad to discuss other details
of my T.C. with anyone who has suggestions on refinements.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca