[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Triggered discharge's article Photonics Spectra Nov99 Pg100

Fruengel used a quenched hydrogen gap with trigger electrodes. It consisted
of a series of disks separated by mica spacers. 5 or 6 of the disks spaced
throughout the stack (several dozen, if not 100, disks total) were
connected with capacitors to a trigger pulse generator. The entire thing is
in hydrogen. He used it for a whole array of things (of course, this guy is
Dr. Impulse), including high rep rate stroboscopy.

>From his book: 50-200 micrometer spacing between disks (.002 to .008
inches). 25 disks, self breakdown at 12 kV, quench at 6 kV. 5 trigger
electrodes driven through 200 pF caps. Disks made of tungsten or copper.
You want 1 trigger electrode for every  5 or 6 gap electrodes. A 25 disk
gap is suitable up to a load current of 2 kW. He suggests using methanol
vapor instead of hydrogen. Trigger pulse should be 200 kW, 0.2 uSec long
from a tapped pulse transformer (each tap goes through the cap to a disk).
It's all packaged in a quartz cylinder.