[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: My FET T.C.

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:53:10 -0700 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
>Original Poster: Alan Sharp <AlanSharp-at-compuserve-dot-com>
>
>Ken,
>
>You're doing very well with solid state coiling.
>
>>2.  Input current (so far), about 4A -at- about 50 sparks/sec.  Spark
>rate
>>variable from a hand-held "wand" from 1 at a time on up.
>
>I take that this is some kind of interupter so that you can switch it
>on
>and off at 50Hz

>From KCH:  No, the wand (from an old computer joystick) contains only 2
pushbuttons (1, "arm" & the other, "go"), a pot to vary the spark rate,
and an extensible rod for the handy teasing of sparks from the toroid.  I
can vary the spark rate from 1 every few seconds to several
hundred/second, with the max. rate only limited by the current I care to
pass thru the MOSFETs.

>>3.  Driver-- 24, 85A, 500V power MOSFETs electrically in push-pull
>>parallel, together driving the equivalent of 1 primary turn (in a
>>patent-applied-for circuit).  Soon to be increased to 48, then--if
>my
>>endurance holds out--to 72.  That will double, then treble the spark
>>length (and the input current for a given spark rate).  The primary
>is
>>untuned.
>
>Do you mean 85A or 8.5A mosfets - why so many? they will handle
>a peak current many times greater than the continuous current rating.

>From KCH:  Eighty five.  When I fully populate the machine with 72 of
them, each one will have to pass perhaps 60 A, on alternate half-cycles,
during the pulse-burst preceding each spark.  The 85 A is the Idsm
rating.  The primary current in that case will be some 600 A during the
pulse burst.

>I thought that 8 was a lot. There seems to be some flexability about
>the way that the term "push pull " is used by folks - I take it that
>you
>mean that
>both sides of the circuit are idendical low side switches driving a
>center
>tapped primary.
>

>From KCH:  I'll decline to go into details about the circuit until my
patent appl. is decided.  Suffice it to say that half my transistors
conduct for 1/2 cycle & the other half, for the other.  And when I
incorporate more than 24 of them, they become connected--for rf--in
series-parallel.

>>Soon to be increased to 48, then--if my
>>endurance holds out--to 72.  That will double, then treble the spark
>>length (and the input current for a given spark rate).  The primary
>is
>>untuned.
>
>you will increase it - you may not double it - there is a law of
>diminishing
>returns. Also FETs can be killed by over voltage. I tried this and
>managed
>to fry quite a few FET's.  The problem is that when the FET's switch
>off
>and
>the magnetic field collapses a very high voltage is induced on the
>primary
>- it could easily exceed 500V. Also if by resonance we achieve a very
>high
>voltage on the secondary some of that is reflected back to the
>primary.
>

>From KCH: I'm counting on my circuit to a) double the primary current
when I double the qty of transistors, etc. and b)  protect each
transistor against an over-voltage from any cause exceeding around 3x the
applied dc voltage of 160 V.  Since the secondary "knows from nothing"
about primary voltage but only responds to applied magnetic flux, I
figure that doubling the flux by doubling the current will double the
spark output--if the minimum curvature radius of the top electrode allows
for that, that is.

>>4.  Maximum voltage, other than at the ~110 KHz output frequency,
>present
>>in the primary apparatus at any time with any quantity of MOSFETs &
>at
>>any rep. rate, 160V.  That's one hundred and sixty volts.  Safer for
>the
>>kiddies.
>
>And the FET's

>From KCH:  You bet.  I've blown many of them at $4-5 a pop ("pop", for
sure!).

>>5.  Excitation frequency, always the instantaneous self-resonant
>>frequency of the secondary.
>
>Which is drops when a spark is produced.

>From KCH:  Let it drop; I track it.  It also changes significantly
depending on what conducting surfaces are around & about.  That's no
problem, either.

Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/dynoget/tagj.