[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: replies to "pigs and other novice questions"

Thanks for the clarification on current limiting pigs.  The secondary peak
current (when the spark gap fires) gets reflected back into the primary and
makes the neighbor's lights dim (or worse).  Gotcha.

Thanks also for help on first TC attempt.  I will try suggestions and report
back.

Note To: Travis Tabbal <bigboss-at-xmission-dot-com>
 Re:
 SCRs usually don't like inductive loads. Most SCRs I've seen would fry
 attempting to drive a transformer. Some coilers have tried to use light
dimmers as a cheap
 variac, those use SCRs to control the output, and most of those units fail.

Not that I'm one to argue (yea right), but SCR's are used in all sorts of big
hairy inductive things.  I have personal experience with 40KW inverters (by
LaMarche) that came out with a new design using triacs.  When the triacs
fried for the third time from the start-up surges from our printers, they
went back to the reliable and virtually indestructible SCR's from the
previous design.  Also, I have some "surplus" SCR's from a rope-weaving
factory where they were used to control 10 and 20 HP motors.  Maybe they
included quenching circuitry or something to protect the SCR's that's not on
your usual light dimmer.  But it sounds like that's not the idea of current
limiting anyway.