[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: My First TC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:41:28 -0400
From: Grayson B Dietrich <electrofire-at-juno-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: My First TC

Ahh, another Teslaphile in the making!

Actually, the primary ISN'T connected to the secondary. It drives the
secondary inductively, that is, through a magnetic field. The bottom
winding usually splits off the secondary form and is connected to wide
conductor which is then connected to a hefty ground. The sparks from the
secondary do just fly into the open air, though a grounded object will
usually attract them. You don't want any sparks from the secondary
hitting the primary, as the extremem voltage will probably hurt (or
destroy) components in the system.

Basic connection scheme is to have your spark gap parallel with the input
transformer, the cap and the primary in series, completing the circuit
from one side of the gap to the other.

-Grayson Dietrich
www.electrophile.8m-dot-com

Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/dynoget/tagj.