[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST useability (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:35:03 EDT
From: Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: NST useability (fwd)

In a message dated 10/12/1999 3:33:30 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  Hi, all. Sorry for the bother.
>
>  I am a total newbie to Tesla coiling, so I just confined
>  my activities to reading the list and trying to accumulate
>  the required pieces. I have acquired 4 NSTs so far ( one
>  5KV, one 7.5 KV and 2 9KV). One post mentions 12KV
>  to 15KV as starting points for Tesla coils. Are my smaller
>  transfromers useless?  What is needed? I have 4" and 8"
>  PVC (2ft and 3 1/2 ft) that I was intending to wind. Are these
>  both too much for the transformers I have in hand? I have
>  delayed the high $ procurements untill I have some of the
>  pieces in hand.
>  Jim

Jim,
   It is never a bother to answer questions on this list.  That is what it is
all about.   You can make small coils run using the 5kV and 7.5kV NST's, but
they won't power one as large as your 8 inch pvc.  I would suggest winding a
coil on the 4 inch form, using about 1000 turns or limiting the length of the
windings to about 20 inches(depending on the wire gauge).  The most likely
choice of wire gauge to use would be 24AWG for your first coil.  The 7.5kV
neon should get you an output of about 10 - 12 inch streamers as a guess.
   Hope this helps.
Mike