[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ozone filters/absorbers (fwd)

>>I note that my laserjet III  printer has some sort of replaceable ozone
>>filter in it (nominal life is 50K pages, but it's probably a "power on
>>hours" factor as well). The filter obviously works (my printer reeks of
>>ozone now, and didn't when it was new)...
>
>50K pages is the life of the filter or the printer?

Rated life of filter (or, actually the recommended change interval)..

>Laser printers use a xerographic process, the chargers are only
>on when the machine is printing or copying so how long it is on would not
>have an effect on the amount of ozone produced. It might help to clog the
>filter with dust,
>however, reducing the filters effectiveness somewhat.

True enough, but I wasn't sure when it is switched on and off... clearly
it's off when the lid is open

>A strong smell of Ozone around a copier or laser printer could be an
>indication that
>the charger (corona) wires are in need of cleaning or replacing.

Or that you are running a lot of copies and the filter is dead...

>>What are these filters made of? (activated charcoal?)
>
>Yes. In copiers and printers the filters are a paper impregnated with
>activated charcoal
>and formed into a structure that looks like corrugated cardboard.
>
>>Where does one get them? How much do they cost? (in large sizes)
>
>One possibility would be to look in the Yellow Pages for a company in
>your area that installs/maintains/services smoke eaters for bars and
>restaurants, etc.
>Smoke eaters are usually electrostatic precipitators and quite often have
an
>activated charcoal
>filter of some size in them.

Or Home Depot, for that matter...

>>Wouldn't something like this be helpful in the TC lab (or garage, or
>>whatever) to get rid of the obnoxious ozone, which we all know isn't
>>healthy, either for us or for rubber parts. Sure, the ozone has some
>minimal
>>germicidal effect, but I'd really rather get rid of it all..
>
>I would think that adequate ventilation would be adequate.

Adequate, eh?

Of course, when you are trying to keep the temperature reasonable (either
A/C or heat), a recirculating filter of some sort is attractive..