[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary Elevation

<< >2) I would appreciate ideas you have incorporated into your coils for
 >varying the pri-sec height differences.  I am interested in building a
 >research coil which has this parameter adjustable in, say, quarter inch
 >increments.  Ideas for either adjusting the secondary or primary height,
 >while still retaining physical stability and esthetics of both, are what I
 >need.

Steve,

I use a vertical central wooden post attached to the bottom of the secondary
coil.  The coil base has a wooden socket that accepts the post.  A
handwheel with a screw in the base tightens the post at any desired
height.  To
change the coupling, hold the secondary, loosen the handwheel, then
lower or lift the secondary as needed, and re-tighten the handwheel
to hold the secondary in the new position.  The posts I use range from
3/4" dia, to 1.5" dia depending on the size and weight of the secondary.

A more convenient method for larger coils would be to use a threaded
post and socket.  This way, the height could be adjusted simply by
rotating the secondary.

John Freau