[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 12kV, 30ma NST TC specs (42" sparks)

<< John,

> Do you mind if we use this design in the FAQ? It looks like a great starter
> design. I'll build one when I get moved and try it out. Coiling activities
> have to
> stop for a coupple weeks while I take care of that. ;)

> The only part I see being difficult for a newbie would be the rotary gap you
> specified. How does the system perform with a simpler gap like the TCBOR/RQ?

> Travis >>

Travis, all,

Anyone who wants to use my design for any purpose is welcome
to do so.  I tried using various types of static gaps, but I wasn't happy
with the performance for two reasons;  the operation was unsteady
and erratic, and secondly, the safety gaps have to be set rather wide in
a static gap system (this is with a resonant or matched size cap).  If
the larger sized cap (larger than resonant, LTR) is used then these
system tends to demand the use of a sync gap.  Although at least
one coiler has obtained good results with an LTR cap and a static gap,
in a different coil design.  Still some mysteries here, but in any case,
my design seems to work best with a sync gap....the theory is that
the sync gap is better able to take advantage of the inductive kick
effect that occurs when using an LTR cap.  I should mention that I've
never built or tried the actual TCBOR type static gap on the TC.  I've
tried other types of static gaps using multiple pipes in a row, multiple
silver flat contactor units, vacuum blown gaps, etc.

Since this design gives such long sparks from a NST that is rated
at only 360 watts, it's behaviour is more like a race-horse than a
plow-horse in some ways.  However the actual construction is not
critical.  I also think that the design would work the same using a
flat primary (instead of inverted cone), but I've never tried the flat
primary.

Cheers,
John Freau