[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Differential Expansion

Greetings All,

If anyone is planning on winding a secondary coil larger than 6" you
might want to consider the following.   I wound a nice tight 12" x 36"
secondary coil using PVC pipe and #20 magnet wire.  When I took the coil
off the winding fixture the temperature that evening was in the mid
80's.  I stored the coil in an upright position figuring I would start
the coating process in the morning.  The next morning the temperature
had cooled off to about the low 70's.  I noticed my coil had gaps in the
windings with some of the coils actually overlapping.  I was a victim of
differential expansion.  PVC has a larger linear expansion rate per
degree (roughly a factor of ten) than copper.  Although the delta T was
not significant the results were still dramatic.  I was able to sort out
the crossed windings and retention the coil to my satisfaction within a
couple of hours by hand (uhg).   I believe this situation could have
been avoided by either winding the coil during a lower than average
temperature or by coating the coil immediately after winding.

Bigger is better,
-John Pepper