[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

kVA Model 9J Specs.

TCML,

I've received may emails asking about the
specifications of the Model 9J Inverted Tesla
Coil that we recently installed at Denver's
PepsiCenter Arena. Here it goes...

The Model 9J was patterned after Bill Wysock's
famous Model 9. I say famous because the
Model 9 is a very commercially successful Tesla
coil with professional installations all over the
country. The Model 9J differs in several key ways
including: an enclosed tank, slightly smaller
secondary diameter, slightly longer winding length,
11tpi instead of 10 tpi, 480pps instead of 240pps,
a 48" toroid instead of a 30", "flying" primary, etc..

The Model 9J was designed by Jeff Parisse with
the goal of incorporating the knowledge base
gathered by working with the Model 8J over the
last year and creating a coil that could be inverted
on standard theatrical truss.

Ed Wingate of Wingate Electric machined the G10
rotor and tungsten electrodes while Bill Wysock of
Tesla Technology Research (and kVA Member)
performed the salient pole synchronous induction
motor modification and machined the electrode
holders, primary taps and generally made sure
our efforts were "by-the-book" (and then some).

kVA member Tony Magno and I built the entire
Tesla coil in fifteen days. There are no words to
describe how hard that was to do so I won't even
try.

Nick Ritter (kVA) and Ross Overstreet joined in
on secondary winding day and I should mention
Robert Stephens' long distance telephone
support (technical, emotional, motivational,
spiritual). Where would I be without Rob (wink)!?

Bill Wysock mounted the triple stack of 1256
variacs, the W50 current control and machined
all the rack panels while I wired the interworkings
of the controller. As soon as I was done, Nick and
I loaded the whole enchilada onto the truck and the
next morning I was off to Denver.

Once in Denver, TCML's own Terry Fritz helped
out TREMENDOUSLY and I must say that, after
meeting him in person, I'm even more impressed
with our moderator than before. Terry is very
sharp and confident in matters of high voltage and
has an easy going, engaging and humorous
personality that easily shatters the engineer
stereotype. As frustrating as the installation was
at times, I really enjoyed my time with Terry.

I should mention that the TC and controller are
constructed from brand new, industrial parts
except the W50 current control which was
refurbished by kVA Effects (Ross was trippin'
on the newness of it all so I'd thought I'd bring
it up).

kVA Effects Model 9J

Toroid: 48" x 12", Spun Ai
Secondary: 20" x 61.5" x 11tpi -at- 16awg
Primary: .375" Cu tube, 5 turns
Capacitor: .2 uf -at- 50kVac pulse, Hippotronics
Spark Gap: 4 gap, eight electrode, 3600 rpm
Transformer: 14.4kV, 10kVA
Controller: 20kVA adjustable V, A & PFC
Output: 16 footers on a bad day, 20' when tuned

Jeff W. Parisse
Director, kVA Effects
www.teslacoil-dot-com