[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: [FAQ]

        Nick, Travis, All

>I agree that ascii art is not the best.
No complaints here:)

> However it does make life a hell of a lot simpler for all concerned.
> As browser standards change and god knows what else the html wil outdate.
> I know all this stuff is supposed to be backward compatible but I had
> to re-code most of my site with the coming of IE5 and whose's to say that
> IE6 won't be the same.  As most tesla coil cicuits are simple to say the
> least I don't see any need to ake life harder than It has to be.

I TOTALLY disagree here. Remember, HTML is a standard which WILL NOT be
outdated
w/in a few months/years. By the time it is outdated(if ever) newer, more
efficient
forms of webdesign will be abailable. I believe that this page should be
made with
plain old HTML, nothing fancy, no script etc... Just black and white text w/
links
between chapters, sections, and email links to authors and their respective
sites.

>Ascii art also has the advantage of being compact so that those of use with
>limited Internet access can still get our files fast - bear in mind this
>thing is gonna be the best part of 200 pages long if its all done
throughly.
>If we agree that the text editor is the lowest common denominator -
notepad -
>then this saves lots of messing around with fonts etc.  Which really would
>screw up ascii art.

        Sure this might be the easiest way to make a quick diagram, but do
keep in mind
that our intention is to be informative for both experienced and new
coilers. When I
built my last coil, i totoally ignored ALL Ascii diagrams because we all
know that different
fonts have different spacing and that will totally screw up your diagram.
Now if this is
the case, wouldn't this just confuse the hell of a new coiler/coiler-to-be
if the diagram
is screwed?
        For diagrams, i believe that you should use either Gif or Jpgs
limited to 20kb or so each.
(if downloaded at a 14.4 modem, it won't take more than 20 seconds or
so)This can easliy be done
using black and white only and a resolution of 60dpi max. You won't need
more since these diagrams
would be lines/circles/text only.Though the low resolution won't look as
good, the main point will
still be easily stated and won't take too long to load up.

Like i've mentioned to Travis, i've offered webspace for the FAQ. I highly
doubt that webspace will be
a major problem for this project..only the long postings would. Also, for
all writing to the faq, in the
subject, instead of putting FAQ only, you should put FAQ-subject (subject to
be replaced by the topic you
will be posting about to help us all out).
-Alan

Original Poster: NickandSim-at-aol-dot-com

Hi Travis, All,
                   I agree that ascii art is not the best.  However it does
make life a hell of a lot simpler for all concerned.  As browser standards
change and god knows what else the html wil outdate.  I know all this stuff
is supposed to be backward compatible but I had to re-code most of my site
with the coming of IE5 and whose's to say that IE6 won't be the same.  As
most tesla coil cicuits are simple to say the least I don't see any need to
make life harder than It has to be.
Ascii art also has the advantage of being compact so that those of use with
limited Internet access can still get our files fast - bear in mind this
thing is gonna be the best part of 200 pages long if its all done throughly.
If we agree that the text editor is the lowest common denominator -
notepad -
then this saves lots of messing around with fonts etc.  Which really would
screw up ascii art.

Regards
Nick Field