[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Terry's remote tuning idea

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Friday, October 29, 1999 6:46 AM
Subject: Re: Terry's remote tuning idea

>Original Poster: "R.E.Burnett" <R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>
>>I think changing tap on the primary would be the "most-desirable" way
>of changing primary tune from a scientific point of view.  This is
>because it does not effect the power transfer process between the
>rotary and the tank capacitors.  I guess that changing primary tap
>is just not a practical option,  since contactors would have to
>switch the full primary current ?

Why not use a series "roller inductor" from a high power antenna matching
box?  This way the coupling between the primary and secondary will remain
constant, and all you are doing is changing the resonant frequency of the
primary.  If all you are looking for is a 10% change in the inductance, only
10% of the voltage will appear across the roller inductor, and they are
designed to take several kV, if not more, in RF applications.