[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil for rent?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Doug Brunner <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> A good coil, built from scratch, would be about $200. I estimate about
7-foot
> streamers, but the construction process is fairly involved (you would
have to
> wind a power transformer). You might be able to put a small one together
> with a
> used NST for around $100, with sparks around 2 feet.

<Huge snip>

Whoa Doug,

Time for a reality check. Ya' been out shopping in the past 15 years?  A
commercially built capacitor for a TC that can make 7 foot streamers
alone is going to run you _at least_ $300+ US dollars if you get it
directly from the factory!  If you make it yourself the materials alone
will cost you what you just budgeted ($200), for the entire coil system!

On the other hand, I agree with you however that the NST powered coil
you mentioned could be built for the budget stated ($100), if you got
the NST the proper way (don't buy it new from a distributor) and
employed salt water or otherwise cheap home-made capacitors, and made no
charges on your R&D, parts procurement (running around burning
gasoline), and construction labor.

There's an enormous(!) expenditure distance involving materials cost and
acceptable design parameters in Tesla coiling between achieving two foot
streamers and seven footers.

Robert W. Stephens
Lindsay Scientific Co.
Commercial Tesla coil supplier