[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Building a 3-1000z VTTC

I recently came across an unbelievable deal at a local swap meet.  I
purchased 2 old HAM RF amplifiers and a rack housed HV power supply.
Each of the RF amplifiers contained tubes and the usual goodies.  One
tube is a 3-1000z and the other is a large ceramic tube that doesn't
have any numbers on it.

The HV power supply contained a 25A variac, a 10KV 178uF 9.8KJ filter
capacitor (!!!), some industrial HV rectifiers (30-60KV, 6-12A), and a
4800V transformer.

I hope to build some high performance tube coils with parts from the RF
amplifiers and do some energy discharge experiments with the 9KJ
capacitor.  My Tesla Page (see URL in footer) has links to my new Pulsed
Power and Tube Coil pages with photos of all the new toys.  (Please let
me know if my links don't show up - I've been fighting with some of the
Java applets that I'm using.  It should work, but it's admittedly high
bandwidth and _slow_ ).

I have been reading the archive like crazy and have printed out every
URL that I have found with VTTC info.  David Trimmell, John Freau, and
Tero - thanks for the great pages!
Let me know if I missed any good ones!

It would be greatly appreciated if the tube guys out there could take a
look at the VTTC page that I hacked together.  Here is the URL and a few
questions...
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Cockpit/3377/Tube_coil/tube.htm

1.  What is the largest diameter secondary that this tube can power?

2.  Can someone ID that large ceramic tube?  I hope to reverse engineer
the schematic of the amplifier for additional clues.  It appears that it
was designed for 40m HAM service.  Looks to be custom built by K2VA
(call has been reissued, original K2VA is probably a Silent Key)

3.  The tube specs state the the filament needs 7.5V at 21.3A.  The
filament transformer that came in the box is a 7.5V, 25A.  Is this OK or
do I need to drop the current somehow (add series resistance?)

4.  Any hints on appropriate component values will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Ross Overstreet