[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Electric bath? ... X-rays from light bulbs/Tesla Coils

What would be a safe distance if any in a garage for clear incandescent
bulbs, laser tubes, florescent tubes, hydrogen thyratron tubes?? Have held
incandescence in hand with low output on coil and got slight corona from 5-6
ft. . I'm not too much of a thrill seeker when it comes to interacting with
streamers, so I keep my distance. NOW.  I once after seeing a friend with
little reaction let our first sparks approx. 18" strike a 4' florescent tube
in hand."MIKEY DIDN'T LIKE IT"... Have been using a laser tube at about 6-8'
as a relative power estimator as it lights up at a certain distance, within
an inch or less. where as a florescent tube varies a lot, may lite when
touched, fluctuates etc. we were once sitting back with low power running
thru a large vac. tube 5948A after having full power to it for short period
(as not to lose vacuum) , Had been running low power for some minutes, when
the hydrogen ignited in tube. This was very beautiful and maybe an x-ray
bath. we had done some early on x-ray tests with x-ray film and a survey
meter of just the coil without any tubes. Results were negative, with the
exception of a film that we let get a small 3/8" lighting like spot where was
hit, and slightly developed blur where film was touching outer turn of
insulated primary)(before strike rail was incorporated). We have also
experimented with sodium lamps, vanity bulbs with the metal (chrome top) that
block the filament from view in normal application ect....ARE WE BATHING TOO
MUCH!!!!!