[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Any welders out there?

In a message dated 9/3/99 6:00:27 AM EST, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<< Subj:     Re: Any welders out there?
 Date:  9/3/99 6:00:27 AM EST
 From:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com (Tesla List)
 To:    tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

 Original Poster: Brent L Caldwell <stretchmonster-at-juno-dot-com>

 All coilers:

    I have two questions.

 1.  Could someone explain to me what a "flyback" transformer is and how
 it differs from regular transformers and what it's good for that a
 regular transformer isn't.

 2.  Also, if there are any welders out there (i figured coilers are the
 type who know how to do things like heli-arc weld) if they could explain
 to me (off the list) why one doesn't normally get shocked by a heli-arc
 welding system when they touch the metal that is grounded with the clamp.

                            Brent

 Hi Brent,
Sometimes one does get shocked ----- In which case one throws the torch away
---
The torch is well insulated -- in addition to its design wavelength ,I
believe.

    The unloaded voltage of a welding machine can be considered lethal ---

Regards
                    Sandy