[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: X-rays from light bulbs/Tesla Coils

CRTs are manufactured using leaded glass to purposely sheild the TV viewer
from x-rays which are produced in picture tubes in fairly large quanities
and not by the cold cathode method either. However, CRTs are usually driven
at 25 to 27 kv. If one were to run the voltage up to say 50 kv or more you
probably would get some usable x-rays. If you could find a CRT out of an old
set that was manufactured back in the late 40s or early 50s I'm sure it
would really cook. But I think I would advise against it. CRTs have getter
flashing plus other metal coatings all over the inside, using the methods so
far discussed I think you could get x-rays coming out from the sides as well
as the front, in fact,  probably more from the sides because the glass is
much thinner on the "funnel". Also, here is something to think about, If one
were to cut a leaded glass picture tube apart you could  use the cap (front)
as a flouroscope screen I think but I wouldn't recommend it.
Mike KB9NZQ ( senior technician in the largest CRT factory under one roof in
the world)