[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: neons

Hello Pete and list.

In my experience, FART transformers are excellent for TC use. I have a
matched pair of 15/60s that have probably seen more than 10 hours of
paralled use in a TC without a problem. The quality control and
manufacturing at FART must be pretty good because my matched set has V_diff
= 12 volts -at- 15kV, and < 1 volt with the outputs shorted.

I've been told by neon tube designers that FART transformers have better
build quality and longevity than many cheaper NSTs, especially the cheap
green Hong Kong units. This is in agreement with my experience. The green
HK NSTs are usually free though, so I use them frequently for prototyping
HV circuits. I also use them a lot for testing NST protection circuitry,
which can include severe overvoltage tests. This occasionally destroys them
(so much for my circuit design skills *grin*).

However, as you mention there is no known (at least not to me) way of
depotting the FART NSTs. They are sealed in a solvent/heat resistant resin
block. Incidently, this block provides excellent mechanical and electrical
properties, it is exceptionaly strong and because there is no metal cover
you can place it relatively freely in the tank circuit.

I would love to section one to see whats inside, but I don't have any dead
ones! I guess that speaks for itself.

Safe HVing,

Gavin Hubbard