[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Vacuum discharges and Tesla Coils / Tesla light bulb patents

Hello,

I have noticed with the old Violet Ray Electrodes some interesting
phenomenon as well.

(This next tube is a Violet Ray surface electrode, powered by a 50,000V
disruptive discharge coil ("Violet Ray" Machine))
For one, I've noticed a violet discharge through half of the tube;
The other half being dark, but the end (opposite the electrode end)
phosphoresces yellow-green in lines similar to "lines of demarcation"

Now, it seems awfully peculiar that BOTH ionisation (of appreciable value --
an apparent geissler degree of vacuum and crookes degree of vacuum in the
same tube.

Now, in my huge "Medical Electricity" volume there is a mention of an
"inbetween" vacuum where both occurances seem to happen in the same tube.
But a single sentence is all that is mentioned.

I've noticed this with 2 or 3 Violet Ray electrodes (I must have 3 or 4
dozen...)

It doesn't seem possible...?  Perhaps these are cathode rays and not x-rays
in such tubes (as the ionisation would imply not a high enough vacuum) ...

---
Now, where regular plasma discharges occur in a modern lightbulb, I would
guess that any green phosphorescence of glass would be caused from
ultra-violet radiation on soda glass... ???????  I've noticed this too in
some modern bulbs.  Someone surely can explain this phenomenon....I hope.??

----

THIS whole discussion is so fascinating.  First of all, as a painter and
real enthusiast of colour, the discharges from Geissler/Crookes tubes are
really >incredibally< beautiful and so difficult to describe in words.
Espescially tubes that form moving discharges,  canal rays, etc.   It is so
ironic that such beauty --
phosphorescence of minerals, etc, can be so spectacular and at the same time
[deadly] and very harmful in radiation aspects.
-----
On a different note, have also experimented to some extent with Tesla's
light bulb ideas, using antique lightbulbs.

Edison type (Edison who?) bulbs with broken filaments of the long slender
"W" type generally will light up (incadesce) when attatched to a high
current Tesla Coil, low voltage (Diathermy Machines work well! 50,000V
drawing 6 amps from mains)

Now, this filament also incadesces along with phosphorescence of glass --
implying that filament is heated by bombardment of cathode rays/x-rays.
Even filaments in 1000 pieces in the bulb will light up in this fashion.

Also, filaments with a small break when attatched to the same coil will fly
around madly in the tube until they are destroyed (into 1000 pieces).

Lower currents with short pieces of filament attatched still to the post has
a strange way of acting:  The extreme needle-like tip of the filament turns
incadescent and seems to launch bright almost invisble "falling stars" from
the tip, until the filament is burned away several seconds/minutes later.

Again, difficult to explain.  Someone might be able to scientifically.

But not Jeff Behary.
Best Regards.
http://www.lvstrings-dot-com/quack.htm
Electrotherapy Museum

PS
I am going to have some of Tesla's light bulbs made according to his lecture
notes/patents.  Has anyone else [in the last 50 years] done this??