[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

5c22 adventure & question

Hello All!!

      After a long stint in lurk mode, I have decided to crawl out of the
woodwork.

      Inspired by recent writings about overvolting a 5c22 and such
i tried a low power experiment with a cobbled together magnifier.
I charged a .01 uf cap with a modified TV flyback circuit . Quick
calcs showed that this would result in an approximate rep rate of
20HZ. Well, it works but I think I need to know more about the
specifications of the 5c22. It only works with the heater off!
If I turn on the heater while the B+ is applied an increase in
rep rate and decrease in amplitude is experienced. This continues
until the 5c22 is warmed up and the coil stops firing completely.
It appears that this device needs a
negative "off" bias like a standard amplifier tube would. my original
understanding was that it reguired a trigger spike of a few hundred
volts to fire. Perhaps someone out there in Tesla land can set me
staight.

  My orginal idea was to run the FBT with a burst gate that shuts
down  at a predetermined time( when the .01 uf achieves 16KV) at
the breakdown voltage voltage of the 5c22, rather than using a
grid firing circuit. Since this is a hydrogen filled device, I
don't think overvolting it will cause any harm-it should work
like a gas gap firing at 16kv. Am I right?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jim McVey