[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New Primary Design

Nick,

If you look in the archives, you can find info about more compact
primaries.  See one example quoted below:

Malcolm stated in part:
>I have finally done a definitive test of
>a stacked spiral primary and it works extremely well. The something
>for nothing bit is that if you built the bundle of copper tube I
>bought into a single flat spiral you might scratch 50uH from it.
>Arranging it in two layers with a sheet of acrylic in between brought
>it close to 80uH simply by making use of mutual inductance. The
>tubing is 3/8". It came as a 2- layer coil that spiralled in on one
>layer then back out again on the next. If you lifted the outer turn on
>one side it would form what looked like an hour-glass.

As I recall, there is more info on the double flat spiral primary in the
archives.  It might be the way let you use a primary with a smaller
diameter.
--Steve
----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: New Primary Design
> Date: Friday, September 10, 1999 5:37 PM
>
> Original Poster: NickandSim-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Hi All,
>          My next coil has just grown from 2.4kVA 8"dia. to 4.8kVA 13"dia.

> Unfortunately I now do not have room for the primary that such a large
coil (
> 147cm high 32.5cm diameter) would need using the normal design ruled for
> small coils.  Darn.  I wondered if any of you with experience in coils of

> this size, Dr. Rez etc., would be able to give me any advice on the
smallest
> primary I can get away with, as the rule of secondary length = primary
radius
> does not seem to be so rigorously used on big coils as on little ones.
The