[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Convert XRAY transformer for TC use

Hello,

Recently I tore apart a Fischer X-ray machine transformer from the 1970s.  I
took it out of the oil filled head and removed the rectangular core and 6
coils -- which incidentally consisted of 2 secondary coils and 4 primary
coils.

I replaced the original modern core with a straight 16" long x 2" dia
annealed iron wire core, typical of early 12" induction coils. (a real work
of art!)

The result surely is not as efficient, but the single core prevents arc-over
to the iron rectangular shaped core, and I have it operating without the 3
gallons of oil insulation.  It throws from 120V/20A a powerful yellowish
flaming arc 6-8" long, highly bowing from convection.

I intend on embedding the whole of the coil in epoxy or wax, so that it
looks similar to an induction coil, though without the interrupter.

These transformers are EXTREMELY dangerous in every aspect!!!
Please take every precaution when using them.

Jeff