[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RSG Questions...

In a message dated 9/11/99 3:22:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > I would suggest getting a 1/3 to 1/2 horsepower universal motor from one
of
>  > the discount electronic places.  You can use a small variac to control
the
>  > speed of these motors.  This is what I use on my system.  Sync or async,
> you
>  > won't hurt that pig.  I have not seen evidence of higher powered systems
> such
>  > as yours performing better with synchronous spark gaps.
>
>  Ed,
>
>  Thanks for the reply. My non-existant high power system is being planned
now.

>  That motor will help a lot.  What do you use for a cap in your system? I've
>  been
>  tossing the idea arround to try an MMC on this. If nothing else it's
>  cheaper then
>  a Maxwell and if I blow it up it's not such a big deal to replace. ;)
>

>  On the gaps, is there someplace that describes rotary breaks in more
>  detail? I've
>  never seen one in person, just pics online. I think I've got the main
parts
> of
>  the design figgured out, but some detailed info would be great.
>
>  Travis

Travis,

I use two .025 mfd Condenser Products caps in parallel.  I would suggest you
try the MMC approach, it sounds like several folks are having good success
with them.  I don't know of any plans for building rotary gaps.  I just
designed my own.

Ed Sonderman