[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tungsten electrodes in static gap?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: BunnyKiller <bigfoo39-at-idt-dot-net>
>
> Tesla List wrote:
>
> > Original Poster: Don Allen <dona-at-amigo-dot-net>
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've been reading the RSG gap thread and am wondering how
> > well would tungsten electrodes work in a static gap?
> >
> > Does tungsten corrode with the use of high voltage, like copper?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Don
> >
> > ---
> >
> > "Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God" - Thomas Jefferson
>
> Ive been using tungsten as my primary choice for my single gap system.
> The gap is designed with 1/8" rods set into 1/4 - 20 bolts( bolts
> drilled with a #30 bit ) these assemblies are set into a 2" PVC pipe 180
> degrees apart ( 1/2" down inside from top). There is a shop vac
> attatched to the bottom of this tube assy. the tube is approximately 10"
> long. Also i took a propane torch and heated the PVC to make it "
> moldable", after it was soft enuf i "squished " the tube to an oval
> shape aproximatley 1" wide and 2.5" long ( the electrodes are set into
> the short ends)      --(____)--
>
> anyway there is some corrosion , the electrodes melt a bit on the ends
> and become rounded, they were flush ground...    but over all
> performance is great compared to copper or brass...   btw   these were
> used on an 1800 watt system and tested on a 10KW system  and they are
> still functional  ;)
>
> Scot, Don and All,

How about tungsten Carbide. It is used for milling tools---real hard stuff.
I am currently cutting 3/8 inch dia rods to use with my RSG for a 28KVA
Tesla coil. If I don't get any reasons not to use them, (from the list), I
will use them in place of tungsten welding rods.  They are hard as he-- to
cut, but I've got a diamond blade saw that will do the job.

Cliff in South West Ohio