[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Aluminum magnet wire?

All,

Aluminum is slightly paramagnetic (attracted to a magnet), and copper is
slightly diamagnetic (repelled by a magnet). Skin effect has NOTHING to
do with either paramagnetism or diamagnetism, and is actually due to the
eddy currents created by the changing magnetic field which is developed
by the RF current flow through the wire. The result is that the RF
current is forced to flow through an increasingly smaller outer layer of
the conductor as the frequency is increased.

To put it into perspective: paramagentic and diamagnetic forces are
quite small, being about one million to ten million times smaller than
the forces asociated with ferromagnetic attraction. Paramagentism or
diamagnetism have virtually no effect on anything we do with Tesla
Coils, including skin effect.

-- Bert --