[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: vacuum spark gap

If you have access, you might want to check out Farrall, George F., "Vacuum
Arcs and Switching" in the August 1973 issue of IEEE Proceedings (vol 61,
No 8), pp 1113-1136

High Vacuum doesn't have a breakdown strength in kV/cm, per se, because the
spark formation process is dominated by other things. Some researchers have
reported breakdown fields on the order of 3-5 MV/meter (30-50 kV/cm,
comparable to air) in gases with number densities of 1E16-1E19/cubic meter
(STP is 260E23/m^3, so that's in your pressure range).  It appears from a
cursory reading of the above reference that the dominant factor is the
smoothness and condition of the electrodes.  Small roughnesses (say from a
previous arc melting a tiny spot) or insulating inclusions (gas bubbles,
etc.) cause field concentrations, and if the radius is sufficiently small,
the field strength is high enough for field emission, which gets enough
electrons out there to get the gap to break down. If a spot on the
electrode gets hot enough, it will spit out electrons thermionically (like
in a vacuum tube), greatly reducing the breakdown voltage, but your vacuum
is nowhere near what is in a typical tube.

For long gaps, the breakdown is usually on the surface of the container.

The quench is very rapid (on the order of microseconds)

Xrays are a hazard any time you have HV and vacuum. Fortunately, they are
quite soft, and easily shielded (get some thin lead sheet and you'll
massively over shield).  BTW, a standard geiger counter isn't very
sensitive to low energy xrays, so just because your geiger isn't clicking
doesn't mean that you aren't being dosed.