[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Kerosene?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Chris Russell" <oldmanjamal-at-netzero-dot-net>
>
> Hello all,
>
> I read somewhere that kerosene can be used to submerge a polyethylene /
> aluminum foil stacked plate capacitor. Is this true? If so, what grade of
> kerosene would be best? Where is it available?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Chris

Hi Chris...

Even tho kerosene does have a higher than normal flash point than other
volitile aromatic hydrocarbons...  i wouldnt take any chances in allowing a
cap to become a flaming ball of poly/alum ...   home made caps are too
unstable to be sure that you wont have an arc form at the surface of the
kerosene ...

try mineral oil    yes it is more expensive but alot safer...

Scot D