[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Method of measuring self C of secondary

To All -

The test to find the true self capacitance of the TC secondary coil is shown
in several publications including the Tesla Coil Construction Guide. The
real trick is to find this capacitance at the design stage before the TC is
built. You can now find this parameter to an acceptable accuracy by using
the JHCTES Ver 3.1 TC computer program that is now a free download from the
Internet.

The secondary terminal (toroid) is a program input. If this is made zero the
coil self capacity is shown in the output. If a toroid is used the
capacitance should be the free space (isolated) capacitance less 15 to 20
percent to allow for the effects of placing the toroid on the coil.

The test for the coil self capacitance and the operating frequency of your
coil (in use) can then be compared to the program. These are not easy
measurements as many things can go wrong and be misinterpreted. Using a
scope and Terry's special probe is a good start.

John H. Couture