[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Microwave Oven Transformers (MOTs)

In a message dated 5/2/00 4:06:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original Poster: Fucian-at-aol-dot-com
>

>  Then why must they (MOTs) be ballasted?

Matt,

The internal ballasting of MOT's is not that effective.  They draw
a lot of current despite the shunts.  However they *don't* really need
to be ballasted.  I once built a TC using four MOT's in series with
mid-point grounded and the "outer" cores hot.  This was used with
a rotary gap and gave 62" sparks, but it was inefficient when I used
no ballast, and drew 6kW.  When I added a ballast, it gave the same
spark length but only drew 4.2kW.  WOW what efficiency....  just
kidding, it wasn't efficient at all.  I later made a coil that gave 64"
sparks using just 1570 watts.

Cheers,
John Freau