[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RF choke ferrite materials

Hi Marco,
                A very interesting question:

> Original Poster: "Marco Denicolai" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi>
>
> Hello all.
>
> Recently Mike Hammer posted on the Tesla-2 list an interesting address:
>
> http://www.bytemark-dot-com/amidon/
>
> It seems like they have in stock large ferrite toroids, at a feasible price ($
> 10 - 15) and no minimum order. This is a rare case, in my experience.
>
> Now my questions, about building a couple of protection chokes to be connected
> between the tank and the primary circuit.
>
> What kind of ferrite material should be selected? An iron-powder (mu about 10)
> to avoid saturation at high currents or a wide-frequency ferrite with a higher
> mu?

The iron powder cores have a distributed airgap in them. This
enables them to handle a high level of DC. However, the greater the
AC  component, the greater their losses. They heat very quickly with
high ripple currents in SMPS applications. So if it's low Q chokes
you want, they are a good bet but expect a lot of heating. I think I
would try them with tough insulated wire dunked in oil or something
like that.

Regards,
Malcolm