[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

"Secondary" controversy

I'll add my 2 cents' worth:  Exciting the bottom of my secondary at
primary resonance from a sine-burst generator, I find exactly the same
behavior as when it is excited similarly from my MOSFET-driven untuned
primary:  Rise of top voltage (viewed via a 10:1 scope probe with no
toroid present) to 90% amplitude in about 22 cycles & exactly the
behavior one would expect at & subsequent to the 1st cycle--smoothly
rising from 0V & assuming a 90 deg. phase lag vs. the bottom voltage.  I
believe that shows it's behaving like a (highly-loaded) 1/4-wave antenna
(tho I'm no expert on that).

Except...this is rather interesting, where primary resonance = 95 KHz:

I attach a 2nd 10:1 probe about 1/2 way up & note the following:

F, KHz             95     148   185    249    425    516

Top V:Mid V    2:1                        1:2     8:1     1:1.5
                                 Top   Mid
                                  min. min.
Top:F phase  -90               180   +90   -90      +90

Mid:F phase  -90                         -90  >+90    +90

I don't quite know what to make of all that--except that, for practical
purposes, my t.c. runs only at the primary resonance & it behaves there
just as I'd expect, excited as it is with a square-wave burst.

Perhaps some of those odd overtones get unduly excited when all you
spark-gap people clobber your secondaries with God knows what, as you
generally do!

Ken Herrick
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.