[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil ideas for experiments

Hi,

My physics department has a "small" home-made CO2 laser.  It uses a 7200V,
1500VA
plate transformer as a power source.  I'm pretty certain that it wasn't tuned
properly, but I had to hold paper for a couple seconds before it would burn.  I
would estimate it's output at about 2W, though no measurement was made due
to the
higher-than-ordinary power (the biggest meter I know of in the department is
20mW).  One would get far better results merely by adding the laser's power
source
to the TC's power source.

Using a laser to ionize the air brings MANY safety concerns to mind.  A laser
powerful enough to ionize the air will also vaporize skin.  Also a laser
doesn't
lose much power over long distances.  Furthermore, the beam cannot be seen,
ESPECIALLY since all truely powerful lasers operate at non-visual light
frequencies
(CO2 is 10.6um, visible light is 400-700nm).

It's an interesting thought experiment, but I would *GREATLY* discourge one
from
actually attempting to use a laser to ionize the air to increase spark length.

My two cents,

Mark