[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Control Box

In a message dated 4/13/00 7:52:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original Poster: "Marc metlicka" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
>
>  i was wondering what the "must" of having a variac is in coiling? if
>  it's to drop the voltage, i don't understand why. the transformers are
>  built for 120v. if it's to raise the voltage over 120v, then why cry
>  when you loose a transformer. if its for isolation, there are isolation
>  transformers out there for 10.00- 30.00 new. please enlighten me.   mem

Marc,

Having a variac is not a must, but it's a good idea.  During initital tuning
and adjustments, the variac permits the coil to be run at low powers
which can prevent damage to the system.  Once the coil is running,
the variac permits modifications or improvements to the coil to be
tested without subjecting the system to the full fury of full power operation.
I often have to run my coils at partial power because I don't have the
room to run the coil at full power.

Most variacs do not provide isolation.

I often use the step up function of the variac to obtain a little more
power output from a transformer.  This is useful for portable coils to
keep them light in weight, and is useful for obtaining the max performance
from a certain transformer.  It doesn't bother me if a transformer is
destroyed, I just replace it.  I don't recommend this approach for
everyone however.

Cheers,
John Freau