[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: transformer ?'s

Hi Kevin
That is an incredible find. must be out of an old Xerox, IBM, van dyke
or some other "xerographic duplicator" (in the biz, in the old days,
what a 5000lb 55 14 X 17 inch copies per minute dinosaur was called,
or more simply, a "dupe")as most of the normal office type copiers put
out less than 20ma, more commonly less than ten. Modern copiers have
supplies for the coronas that put out very low currents. (also
switchmode, so common wisdom is that they are unsuitable for TC use.)
So to answer your questions, yes, the transformer is shunted. In fact,
it will behave exactly as a NST, it is built in exactly the same
fashion, however it is superior to a NST for the simple reason that it
is designed to supply current to a "corona", or charger as most folks
seem to prefer to call them these days, so as to not cause confusion
as corona is the "blue light" you see around the wire in the charger
and not the charger wire, or assembly itself. Anyway, the corona
discharge requires a constant current and voltage, and it must be
stable and uniform, and it does not vary in potential...I digress. NST
= high voltage to start, low voltage when current is supplied to
ignited tube. Copier supply transformer = high voltage continuously.
All that = much better insulation, though still subject to the carbon
tracking problems if tar filled. In the old days when copiers were
first starting to print on plain paper more often than coated, one
would often find two DC and an AC supply or two all in one box with
one transformer in it. I threw away hundreds. They were potted in
epoxy. The DC supply components were good stuff to. I used to use some
for my TC experiments. I had one that had hundreds of hours run time
before it finally gave up the ghost. If I treat a NST like I treated
that thing, it would die before it got an hour on it, and most I've
gotten have died in seconds. So I guess what I'm trying to say in
answer to question 2 is...do they have any more?
later
deano