[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Torque needed to spin the secondary?

Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 13.04.2000 22:53:15

To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
cc:    (bcc: Marco Denicolai/MARTIS)
Subject:  Re: Torque needed to spin the secondary?

>Original Poster: "Max Erhard" <max.erhard-at-softhome-dot-net>
>
>You don't need any torque to keep it moving, only to accelerate it
>(Newtons second law, if I'm not mistaken), the enemy is friction, how
>good bearings can you get ?. A small syncronous motor would be a nice
>thing to use, microwave turntable motors are suprisingly strong for
>their size and you probably have a supply of them (:-)), I see from your
>website you are another MOT'er.
>
>Max Erhard (UK)

Hello.

Thanks to all those that answered. I realized that I didn't need to lift one
half of my tube (as I calculated in my first email), but I just have to win the
bearing friction only.

I also realized that it takes more time, effort and money to have a motor
connected to the tube that to have my kids turn the tube for me for a couple of
hours (while I wind it). I can pay them a good salary and still same money and
time. So I'll go for that solution (child labour, oh my ...!)

For the higher spinning rate, needed to achieve uniform coating layers,
I'll use
my variable speed drill and some kind of support for it.

Regards

P.S. KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) rule employed once again here.

P.P.S. PVC support caps and bolt axes for the tube got ready today: I'll have a
long weekend...