[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: That secondary behaviour, E-Tesla5, and Corum's thing...

Hi Terry & all-

The table in my prior posting on this subject came thru pretty well when
I read it off the List (after its passage thru all those countless miles
of copper, millimeters of aluminum, thousands of transistors, who knows
how many magnetic media?...I am continually astounded!); but I will
repeat it here, craftily forcing it to align by means of dots:

F, KHz.............95......148...185....249....425....516
.
Top V:Mid V....2:1.........................1:2.....8:1.....1:1.5
.................................Top.....Mid
................................. min. ..min.
Top:F phase..-90................180...+90...-90......+90
.
Mid:F phase..-90.........................-90..>+90.....+90

Also, in my later posting, I talked about the 1st 1/4 cycle--but I should
have said, 1st 1/2 cycle.  At the instant when the 1st 1/2 cycle of
"bottom" excitation goes thru its first zero-crossing, the 1st 1/2 cycle
of the "top" voltage is right on its maximum.  As to the behavior prior
to that, obviously the top voltage cannot instantaneously assume the
beginning rate of change of that 1st 1/2 cycle of excitation, which--from
my generator--starts right out climbing with the rate of change to be
expected at zero-crossing.  Instead, the top wave starts with zero rate
of change (naturally) & smoothly assumes the appropriate rate of change
within the 1st 1/4 cycle.  And I do hope someone will check me on all
this.

For excitation I used my old Wavetek 115 gated by my (also old) HP
8005--both >bears< to work on, I might add, the Wavetek because of its
construction and the HP because of its goofy circuits.  For fairness I'll
add that my Tek 7904 scope is just as bad or worse, in its way.  If
anyone owns one of those & has to work on its power supply, for instance,
God help them.  A pox on all those no-doubt-long-retired design
engineers!

As to loading of the secondary by the probe, no doubt its input
capacitance does that, but I wouldn't expect that to affect significantly
the kinds of things I measured.  Correct me if I seem to be wrong.

And once again, someone tell me what it is that's >"slow"<!

Ken Herrick

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.