[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Another obnoxious lumped theory supporting post ;-))

Hi All,

	As Richie and Antonio pointed out, there must have been something wrong
with my experiment, and there was...

First, my ailing signal generator made it difficult to find the exact
resonant point.  Replacing it made the tuning much more accurate.

Second, the flying wire leads I used on the scope probes have terrible
phase accuracy.  The information they gave was pure garbage.  You simply
can't get phase information from flying wires hooked to scope probes!!  I
remember someone writing a paper on this once like that one at:

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/papers/planant/waveant3.html

I should have read that guy's paper before I started this. ;-)))

Third, given all this erroneous data, I was able to quickly and logically
justify it to myself.  I really WAS convinced it was true...  So after 2+
years at this, not only can "I" still be tricked by secondary behavior, I
can even trick myself! ;-)))

One thing I did do right was have other people check my results.  Richie
certainly suspected a problem and Antonio was convinced I had done
something wrong.  I knew right away that it was time to go rechecking
things!!  I am glad I didn't go on for years without realizing the problems!

So the secondary experiment I did yesterday was "all messed up".  I think
Richie may have been able to repeat the results if he had a sine generator
but he probably would have figured the problems out quickly.  The coax
experiment seemed to work but that may have been sheer luck or the phase
distortion between my two probes was matched better in that case.

So, another secondary theory experiment bits the dust...  However, it was
hardly a failure.  Not only did it still manage to support lumped secondary
theory, it also demonstrated a number of mistakes and sources of error in
such work.

I guess if this was easy, everyone would do it ;-))  I hope Richie joins in
this game too!  I can assure him, that it is pretty challenging!!

Cheers,

	Terry